Monday, March 16, 2009

country stars & ben franklin


















    
That
is
from
Jimmy
Wayne's
dinner.

If you like country music, then you know who Jimmy Wayne is. if you dont like country music, then youre missing out on some sweet soul soothing tunes.  

as i've mentioned before, right now, i'm serving part time at Longhorn Steakhouse. i dont make a lot of money there, but i enjoy it and i work hard, and somehow, God provides for me as much as i need each month. 

One night at work a couple months ago, Jimmy Wayne and a nice woman were sitting in my section. They were polite, and tipped well, but nothing special happened. After they left, I noticed the girl had forgotten her gloves. No big deal. People forget stuff all the time and we leave it with the management for them to claim. But as I went to pick them up, i realized they weren't just any gloves. No, no. They were black, leather, gorgeous COACH gloves with cashmere lining. Very big deal.

*sigh* 

i knew what i had to do. OF COURSE the girl was coming back for them. There is no way any owner in their right mind would abandon such a treasure. but knowing the right thing to do doesn't make it easy. Especially when thinking the greater good could very easily be argued as the preservation of my precious fingers on days that were below 30. Ugh. No time for justifications. With my head hung low, I marched them back to my manager's office where we made our long goodbyes. 

I listened to some sad songs on the way home, then put them out of my mind and moved on.

Fast forward to tonight at work. Low and behold, look who's sitting at table 76. Jimmy Wayne and his pretty friend. As I walked up, I barely even said hello before the girl blurted out, "You were the one who found my gloves!" 

It was like reopening a battle wound.

Me: "Ohh yeah. I almost forgot about those. I take it you got them back?" 

Jimmy's girl: "Yes, yes. Thank you sooo much. I thought for sure they'd be gone!"

Me: "You're welcome. I'm glad you came back for them."

(Lying's ok when you're working towards meaning it, right?) 

Then Jimmy chimed in, "You have no idea how much they mean to her. She really was thrilled. It's so refreshing to meet honest people."

Me: "Thanks, they were so pretty, I knew you guys would be back for them." 

Jimmy: "You know what? I'm gonna get you a pair." 

Me: "Oh no no no... that's not necessary. Thank you so much though."

Jimmy: "No, I want to. What size do you wear?"

Me: "Uh, honestly, i have no idea what glove size i am. But it doesn't matter. really. I appreciate the thought though."

Suddenly, the girl grabs my hand and puts it up to hers, guessing aloud my size. 

Meanwhile Jimmy starts to pull out his wallet and flip through it. Before I know it, he sets a $100 bill in my hand. 

Me: "Nooo, really. That's way too much. No need to pay me for being honest." 

Jimmy: "I insist. It's probably too warm for gloves now anyways, so just treat yourself to something nice. I mean it. Please.... please."  

Me: "Wow. I dont know what to say. Thank you so, so much. It's incredibly generous of you." 

Jimmy: "Don't mention it." 

And that was that. I hadn't even taken their drink orders yet. The rest of the evening went well. Every time i approached their table, they would strike up conversation with me. By the end of the night, Jimmy was giving me encouraging advice about singing and songwriting. And, he even tipped me 20% on his bill. 

Now I'm home and Benjamin Franklin is sitting in my wallet with a smirk on his face that I imagine comes from God and his bazaar and wonderful ways of taking care of me.  

3 comments:

Melissa Vossler said...

Mel, I looooved this story!! Gave me goosebumps and a really big grin :)

God is good, and you are so very deserving, and you need to write more often.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

This story is amazing!!!
Thanks for sharing.

jamie-grace said...

that is the best story in the entire world!! i want to hear it in person though, haha. miss you!